Thursday, November 22, 2007

No Sony Ericsson W960i for me :-(

I currently own a W800i which all-in-all I have loved, and yes I paid a lot for it as I live in the US where no carrier released the phone to market. I like it better in some respects than the W810i that was released and carried by several US Cellular providers. So here I read about an upcoming model, the W960i, that looked like a perfect replacement for my phone:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/w960i?cc=us&lc=en

Alas, the problems are the networks!?!
  • UMTS 2100
  • GSM 900
  • GSM 1800
  • GSM 1900
Doh! So what's the problem you ask? Well, here are my requirements:

1) Good interface. Check!
2) Usable Media Player. Check!
3) GSM (for Intl Travel). Check!
4) 3G or higher. Check....sorta. Here's where the problem is.

You see, in the US, we're more or less using a standard losely named 3.5 G, HSDPA. It's superior in some ways, but works in the 1800 and 1900 MHZ frequencies. This phone only does 3G (UMTS) at 2100. Argh!

So next someone might as, why not K850i ? One word: OS. The OS on the W960i is the vernerable Symbian OS, which means I get to use the Opera browser! K850i simply uses the SE developed OS which doesn't lend itself to developing any apps for it.

Oh well. Damn you Sony Ericsson for making me jealous for something I really can't use.

Alas, it doesn't seem to be gaining any traction in the US (networks maybe??):

http://www.info-mobile.info/sony-ericsson-w960i-almost-on-the-market/


Oh, and damn you Apple for releasing the iPhone with dull-EDGE. I won't consider buying until it has HSDPA. I just won't buy phones like George Lucas wants people to buy multiple versions of Star Wars.

No comments: